Job TitleChief Legal Officer
Organization NameNortheast Ohio Regional Sewer District
About The Sewer District The Northeast Ohio Regional Sewer District (NEORSD) is an environmentally responsible organization established in 1972 to convey and treat wastewater in Cleveland and surrounding communities. A leader in wastewater management, the Sewer District has an operating budget of over $200 million, and an employee population of over 600 people. In 2011, the Sewer District undertook a $3 billion dollar federally-mandated construction program to reduce the amount of raw sewage overflows into area waterways. We call this 25-year program Project Clean Lake. We are also promoting a Storm Water Management Program that will provide a regional solution to storm water problems such as flooding, erosion, and pollution.
Job Summary: Under the general direction of the Chief Executive Officer provides general counsel and oversees the legal affairs of the District. Advises the Board of Trustees and Chief Executive Officer in developing overall management policy and on matters of legislation and regulations which may impact the District. Directs legal department attorneys and staff. Provides vision, policy, strategy and direction to organization and drives organizational goals.
Essential Functions:- Provides general counsel and oversees the legal affairs of the District, directs legal department attorneys and staff. Provides vision, policy, strategy and direction to organization and drives organizational goals. Plans and directs all aspects of the District’s legal affairs and ensures maximum protection of its legal rights. Leads and directs the work of others across departments.
- Responsible for Board of Trustees governance processes and procedures, including preparation of resolutions, minutes, compliance with open meetings laws, and public records management.
- Provides legal and administrative support for Board of Trustees committees and Suburban Council of Governments meetings.
- Demonstrates expertise in a variety of wastewater utility & industry concepts, practices and procedures. Relies on extensive public sector and water industry experience and judgment to plan and accomplish goals. Demonstrates a wide degree of creativity and latitude in carrying out duties and responsibilities.
- Leads regulatory strategies for Clean Water Act compliance, including CSO Consent Decree implementation, Regional Stormwater Management Program implementation, District Code of Regulation compliance, and implementation of related regulatory programs.
- Leads the defense of the organization in lawsuits and the prosecution of lawsuits on behalf of the District and against others.
- Provides general counsel to Sewer District functions including auditors and auditing functions, insurance and risk management functions, state and federal advocacy matters, legislative initiatives, contracts and procurement functions, claims management and reporting, and real property interests.
- Perform other duties as assigned or directed.
Minimum Job Requirements
Education- Candidate must possess a Juris Doctorate (JD) from an accredited law school and be licensed to practice law in the State of Ohio and in good standing with the Supreme Court of Ohio, either at the time of appointment to the position or within six months.
Experience- Candidate must possess ten (10) years of experience practicing law, preferably in the area of governmental utility construction law experience or other related governmental law and United States Environmental Protection Agency and Ohio EPA regulatory and compliance issues. Five (5) years of experience managing a professional staff preferred.
- Candidate must possess experience legal advisor in public sector policy, planning and executive level management environment. Background in administrative law and some litigation preferred. Working knowledge of Federal and State laws applying to political subdivisions of the State of Ohio. The preferred candidate will have demonstrated experience in water utilities, construction law, environmental regulatory compliance strategies, developing and implementing strategic issues and programs and using risk management principles.
- Candidate must possess a valid driver’s license with a driving record in accordance with the District’s acceptable guidelines.
Salary InformationTypical Hiring Salary Range: $148,698 - $193,307Full Salary Grade: $148,698 - $237,917
Job Posting End DateEmployee Applicants: Job Posting End Date: 11/20/15External Applicants: Job Posting End Date: 02/6/2016 or Until FilledResume Reviews Begin on the Job Posting Start Date
Apply OnlineDirect Link to Job Posting: http://goo.gl/xXGiD1
Career Website: www.neorsd.org/careers
Ohio Women's Bar Association | 136 South Keowee Street | Dayton, Ohio 45402 | Phone (866) 932-6922 | Email email@example.com